Saturday, May 16, 2009

Restoring my faith in bookselling.

I watched "You've Got Mail" last night.  I find that I need to watch it every so often so I don't march into my boss' office and put in my 2 weeks.  It reminds me that kid's books are awesome and that I would never work anywhere else in the store.
Plus, it is sad when the store closes and in the current economical situation, I need a job.  I should just be happy I have a paycheck and deal with obnoxious kids, rude parents, jerk-face bosses and incompetent coworkers. 
I also get some satisfaction from trying to ID the books in the background when they are in the bookstore, Shop Around the Corner & Fox Books.  Plus, I would like to think that I am not as clueless as that guy who doesn't know what the "shoe books" are.  I think I know my section pretty well.
Yesterday, I even helped a woman find a book and all she knew was that it was a novel for kids that won an award and the word "green" was in the title.  It was "Green Glass Sea" by Klages.  It won the Scott O'Dell award.  I didn't even have to use the computer.

No comments: